Deputy Chief of Operations, Kativik Regional Police Force (KRPF)
PERMANENT - FULL TIME
APPLY BEFORE May 1, 2017
Reporting to the Chief of the KRPF, the Deputy Chief of Operations must possess a comprehensive vision and thorough knowledge of public security challenges throughout Nunavik. He strives to meet the highest performance standards possible regarding policing in the communities of Nunavik, specifically regarding police interventions, crime prevention and other public security challenges. The Deputy Chief of Operations upholds peace, order and public security, and works to prevent and repress crime and infractions to federal and provincial laws and regulations and municipal bylaws. His duties include in particular the following:
• Plan, co-ordinate and supervise the work of captains, and ensure the proper management and coaching of staff and police operations under his supervision;
• Implement adequate measures to respond to new challenges regarding crime, road safety and public perception of safety issues;
• Develop strategic planning for the KRPF in collaboration with other senior officers;
• Prepare and submit to the Chief of the KRG quarterly and annual reports on police operations;
• Establish and maintain good relations with the region’s residents, KRG officials, local elected officials, as well as representatives of local and government organizations;
• Communicate decisions and directives to staff under his supervision and ensure compliance;
• Enforce discipline and ensure that quality community policing is a priority for staff;
• Assess staff performance, and provide support and coaching;
• Identify staff training and upgrading needs, and prepare a human resources development plan;
• Ensure that the control of timesheets, overtime, travel expense reimbursement claims for police officers and guards, as well as detainee expenses comply with the approved budgetary envelopes;
• Report to the Chief of the KRPF on police operations, as well as on the state and workings of police detachments;
• Replace the Chief of the KRPF, when required.
The selected candidate must:
• Possess at least ten years of relevant experience in a police force, including at least five years of experience in a management role in a Canadian police force;
• Meet the hiring requirements established under the Police Act;
• Demonstrate strong planning and organizational skills;
• Possess solid decision-making and problem-solving skills;
• Be highly skilled in operation and investigation management;
• Demonstrate the capacity to work under pressure;
• Experience in a multicultural environment will be considered an important asset;
• Have a good working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office software, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
• Be able to communicate verbally and in writing in two of the following languages: English, French or Inuktitut.
Note: This position requires frequent travel throughout Nunavik, as well as to Quebec City and Montreal.
Place of work
Based on the salary scale applicable to management employees.
Cost of living differential: minimum of $8,253/year;
Food allowance: minimum of $2,035/year;
Annual leave trips: minimum of 3 trips/year;
RRSP employer contribution: 7%;
Vacation: 30 days/year;
Statutory holidays: 19 days/year.
Submit your résumé before 5:00 p.m. on May 1st, 2017, to:
The KRG is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with this and with the James Bay and Northern Québec Agreement, conditions may vary to promote the employment of Inuit candidates.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.